St Michael's Church - Kniveton (1861)

A brother, who had been invited by the cler­gyman of the parishes of Bentley and Kniveton, sends the following account of his labours during the wakes (fairs): — On arriving at Kniveton, Oct. 14, I found, to my surprise, the believers were assembled in the open air holding a large meeting, which was addressed by two or three speakers. After the ad­dresses had been given, we sang up to the parish church and filled the aisles. After a hymn and prayer I addressed the meeting on the evils of wakes and warned them to flee from the wrath to come. At the conclusion of the first meeting more than half waited for prayer and to be conversed with. I am happy to say, that the meetings during the wakes have been greatly blessed; it is also gratifying to know, that there is a good work going on in this parish, many precious souls rejoicing in Jesus. Bentley wakes came off this week, and I am happy to say with as great a triumph as at Knive­ton. On Sunday night we had a very large meeting in the church, and many waited for prayer and conversation. On Monday night we assembled half-a-mile from the church in the open air and commenced singing through the village. Two addresses were given, and then I invited all to the church, which was quite full. Two young men who came in were anxious and decided for the Lord, and everyone felt that it was the best wake that ever they had. On Thursday evening we met as on the former evening and sung through the village. This meeting was the largest that I have had, and an opportu­nity was given for three or four to speak. A farmer got up and said the Lord had saved him, and that before he never cared for his family, but now he had a family altar, and committed them every day and night to God in prayer. Another intelligent young man got up and said he was living in Manchester for a few years, and imbibed infidel principles, but having returned home to Kniveton, and hearing Mr. Ord was to preach in the church, he went to scoff; but the Lord blessed his own word, and instead of being an infidel he is now clothed and in his right mind. I also visited Mayfield cotton-mill, and addressed the hands during dinner-time, who listened to me very attentively and united with me in prayer and praise. I then gave them an invitation to meet me at night, at 7 o'clock, at the Queen's Arms public-house. I happened there to meet a very dear brother— Marcus Wright, Esq., who was glad to see me—and accompanied him in visiting the poor, and we had a very blessed time together. I then went to meet the factory people, accompanied by Mr Wright, and when we arrived at the spot found that they had commenced singing. We had a few short prayers, and then sang down to the chapel, which in a few minutes was crowded to excess; after singing and prayer I addressed the meet­ing, and many waited to be spoken to. One woman would not leave until she found Jesus; the Lord revealed himself to her and she went on her way rejoicing. A young man who had been a backslider found Jesus, and there were a few anxious, who went home seeking the Saviour. I held two meetings in Ashbourne, which were well attended; I also visited a cotton mill in the neighbourhood, and found that there was a work of grace begun, and that the good Lord was gathering out a people for Himself, and was honouring his faithful followers with re­freshing times in this part of Derbyshire. E. USHER

From the 'Revival Newspaper, Volume V, page 165.

Related Wells