Falmouth - Salvation Army (1879)

This is a monthly report from the Salvation Army station here.

HAVING secured an old Baptist chapel here, seating some 500, for five nights a week, as well as Sunday evenings, Captain and Mrs Trenhail were appointed to lead the attack, and though we have no regular report, we give some extracts from letters to Headquarters describing what is, we feel sure, the beginning of a great work.

Brother Edmonds and Brother Lawley with one of his Hayle men, came up to help the first Sunday; of the Monday the captain writes: -

"Last night my wife and myself went into the open air; and as soon as we began, the people came running to us and in a few minutes we had a great crowd- just two of us. Many seemed to ask, ' Are you the Salvation Army?' We invited them inside. The chapel was well filled below, and many in the gallery."

Later, he says:-

"We had grand go in the open-air Iast night again. People came in all directions. Hundreds of people round us. Good order. Blessed go inside; more of the rough class; not quite so many of the respectables. Powerful meeting. Deep conviction."

Sisters Pick and Thompson were now ordered up to assist, and Brother Trenhail writes:-

"The sisters arrived. Grand open-air meetings these two nights. I am believing for a mighty work. People are coming from Penryn and all parts to see and hear the Salvation Army."

After the second Sunday he says : -
"On Saturday night we had a good open-air and fine meeting. Three souls. One old woman and her son.

"On Sunday morning we went about the streets. In the afternoon it was very wet. At night not so many people as I expected." Again:-

"We are having good meetings. Souls, Monday and last night. Five last night.  One in great distress, broken-hearted, cried aloud, roused the place. Place crowded below. People weeping. God is moving. Hallelujah!

"We had a smash last night. They were coming out grand. Broken down; burst out aloud and called aloud all the way to the penitent form. One young woman made a tremendous noise, she shouted, 'Glory! gloryI gloryI' 'We have hard work to get the people away when we close. The place is all in an uproar."

Later still:-

"The last three nights we have had it first class. Friday, place full. Souls seeking. Saturday, not so full. Some saved. Our bed came last night. It has been a long time on the way. Good outside meeting and inside was very full. Again people seem to come in great numbers, and a great number are convinced but hold out yet. We must open at Penryn."

From, 'The Salvationist', November 1879, pages 299/300.

Going forward in every direction. People coming for miles to the meetings. The Drill Hall, holding at least 1,200, used now on Sundays, and crowded to excess. Some real Cormsh conversions.. Men and women falling and wailing under conviction! and then rising to rejoice aloud with joy unspeakable.

From, 'The Salvationist', December 1879, page 328.

The devil does not like us here. Why? Because we are getting some of his best men to desert from his service.

Sunday the 14th was our first anniversary. We had a day of real fighting and the victory was on Israel's side. We commenced in the morning at seven with a prayer meeting – one soul. At 10, open-air, our soldiers rallied around the banner. God bless them; they do not only talk about fighting but they do fight. While the wind blew and the rain poured down upon us our gallant soldiers poured some red hot shots into the enemy doing a lot of damage. 

Inside at 11, Pentecost, when after speaking and praying the power of the Holy Ghost fell upon us and 33 souls came out for the blessing and one man for pardon. While some shouted, some fainted others wept; our souls were filled and flooded and we promised Jesus we would do all we could to win Falmouth for him. Oh hallelujah.

Afternoon, open-air, grand. Rain pouring down on us, but hundreds of men and women, whom Jesus died for, stood around and listened to the old old story of Jesus and His love, marched into the Drill Hall we found it jammed and crammed. While brother Sobey from Devonport told of heaven and hell, the Holy Spirit strove with the people and many went home wounded.

Monday, – a real hallelujah tea was first on the program; 300 sat down to the good things. After everybody got enough food to eat and drink, we cleared out for a grand monster open-air meeting at 7:30 pm, when several gentlemen of the town testified to the good the Army had done in Falmouth. We finished up with some sharp shooting and five souls and went home tired, but shouting hallelujah!

Since Saturday the 13th we’ve had 80 to the penitent form, 37 for pardon, 37 for the blessing.

From. 'The War Cry', November 1880.

For more reports see 'The War Cry' which began January 1880.


Additional Information

I do not know where the meetings were held.

Related Wells