Inverness (1898)

In the autumn of 1898, there were evident tokens of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the Queen Street Free Church congregation. Mr Alexander Frazer, then a student at the New College, had been supplying the pulpit during the summer months. The impressions made at the ordinary Sunday and week-day services became gradually deeper and more general. Many anxious souls found their way to his lodgings, asking "The way of salvation and light."

So intense did the interest become that a series of special meetings were arranged for. These were begun in Queen Street, on the 26th September, and the power of God was present to save from the very first. Over fifty souls were dealt with in the inquiry room that night. Night after night, for a fortnight, the work went on in volume and intensity to such an extent that it became necessary to employ the Music Hall, the largest building in the town. "The audiences which gathered nightly in the Music Hall were large and encouraging, but more encouraging still, and, doubtless, to some more amazing, were the testimonies given, in text or hymn, by the young converts, as well as by the Christians who had been long on the way heavenward. In this connection one night stands out in striking relief, and cannot soon be forgotten, when testimonies were given by those who had been on the Lord's side for periods of time ranging from five to thirty-five years, and not less remarkable was the evening on which the choir, numbering over one hundred voices, rose, almost without exception, and declared by text or testimony that they were singing for Jesus. Who but must recall the impressiveness of the bowed heads, the subdued feeling, the melting pathos, as from hearts attuned by the Spirit of God, there arose the impressive strains:—

"Once more, my soul, the Saviour, through the Word, Is offered full and free; And now, Oh Lord, I must, I must decide— Shall I accept of Thee? I will, I will, I will, God helping me, I will, Oh Lord, be Thine; Thy precious blood was shed to purchase me, I will be wholly Thine."

How many lives closed in with the Saviour in those solemn moments eternity alone will reveal! There was a prayer meeting held every night for half-hour previous to the public meeting. Before the close of the mission it was with difficulty that those who came to pray could be accommodated. The converts were mostly young men and women. Some were but visitors to the town on holiday. One of these, a medical student, wrote:—"In my first week at home I had seven exams, (professional and bursary) which I passed, and I sat them all with a cheerfulness to which I have long been a stranger. . . . Now, as during my first week at home, prayer is spontaneous from the fulness of my heart—and reading the Word is a pleasure and support which I peruse regularly every night, and at spare moments during the day. I am looking forward to a winter's work such as I have never had—under new supervision.' The fruits of that work of grace were very real and striking. In changed lives, in beautiful character, and in active Christian service, the converts, now scattered throughout the world, are bringing forth fruit unto God.

Revivals in the Highlands and Islands by Alexander Macrea – Republished in 1998 by Tentmaker Publications.

Additional Information

The Church used to be where marked.

Related Wells