Other parts of Hull circuit were also making encouraging progress at this period. Silsdan Branch was made into a separate circuit at the December quarterly-meeting of this year. (1823); with five travelling preachers and Preston branch with three, both branches having greatly prospered, and appearing likely to do well in future. Bridlington branch of Hull Circuit also made advancement, and in March 1823, a great revival of religion took place at Filey, a fishing place of great notoriety. It is pleasantly situated on the north-eastern coast of England, about twelve miles from Bridlington, and seven or eight from Scarborough. It is now a place of considerable importance and is distinguished by its splendid buildings and accommodations for visitors. At the period named it was ''noted for vice and wickedness of almost every description.” Drunkenness, Sabbath-breaking, swearing, cock-fighting, card-playing, and similar evils were very prevalent. "It had been frequently visited by our preachers," says Mr W. Howcroft, "and had been as frequently given up without hope of success. But about the beginning of March 1823, one soul was awakened under Brother Peart About a fortnight after Brother Oxtoby paid the place a visit, when a great many more were awakened and stirred up to seek the Lord.” Mr Oxtoby shortly afterwards returned to spend a few days there to pray with penitents, and direct them to Christ. In this important work he greatly excelled, and numbers soon found peace with God. In the course of a few weeks, about forty souls professed to find the Lord in. the house of Mr and Mrs Gordon. The inhabitants generally were brought under divine impressions, and the church and the Wesleyan chapel were filled with hearers, as well as a large barn occupied by the missionaries. The ale bench was deserted by numbers, who exchanged the: drunkard’s song for the songs of Zion, and a striking reformation took place in the morals of the people. A good society was established by the Primitive Methodists, which has long been distinguished by the liberal support it renders to the missionary cause.
From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p154http://www.archive.org/details/historyprimitiv01pettgoog