Fivemiletown Methodist Church (1800)



1800.The first quarter of this year was spent by Messrs. Graham and Ouseley in Ulster, where their labours were crowned with marvellous success. They preached to thousands in the streets and fields, the fairs and markets; and the power of the Lord accompanied His word everywhere, so that large numbers were converted, including many Roman Catholics. At Newtownstewart, the Romanists came forward, weeping, to entreat the missionaries to lay their hands on their heads and bless them. At Fivemiletown, one hundred and fifty persons were led to join the Society.

1801. At the love-feast held in a large garden at Fivemiletown, there was a great company whom no house could hold. “The Spirit of the Lord descended in an abundant manner; the shout of a King was heard, and the voice of new born souls was sweet. It was a day of the Son of man.

1826. A very blessed revival took place on the Maguiresbridge and Brookeborough circuit. Mr, John Buttle had charge of this laborious field, and soon after arriving there, saw cheering tokens of increased spiritual life in the leaders and members, and arrangements were made for special prayer, three times each day, for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit. At length, on March 17th, during a service at Killymendon, near Ballinamallard, the power of God descended, so that many were cut to the heart, and cried aloud for mercy. The meetings were continued each night, large numbers attended, and a great many were brought into glorious liberty. The good work soon extended to other parts of the circuit. Fivemiletown, Maguiresbridge, Ballinamallard, and Irvinestown all partook in succession of these showers of blessing, until the wilderness became a fruitful field, and the fruitful field was counted for a forest.

1828. The extensive religious awakening of the previous two years on the Maguiresbridge circuit continued during the whole of this year. The labours of a third preacher were secured, and a regular plan was formed; but soon the work became too much even for the three brethren engaged in it. The converts sprang up "as among the grass, as willows by the water-courses;" and all the services were attended with the convincing, converting, and sanctifying power of God. At length, one after another, the health of each of the preachers gave way, until the three were laid aside. But two young men were secured as a supply for them, and they, aided by the leaders, carried on the good work. At a field-meeting held in June, on the commons of Fivemiletown, it was estimated that three thousand persons were present, while the Rev. Adam Averell preached with power on the nature and necessity of perfect love. Three years previously there were on this circuit eighty-eight leaders, and one thousand four hundred and forty members of Society ; now there were one hundred and forty-three leaders, and two thousand four hundred and sixteen members; being an increase of fifty-five leaders, and nine hundred and seventy-six members.

These excerpts come from 'History of Methodism in Ireland' by Crookshank Volumes II and III.


Related Wells