The blessed revival at Newry extended to the surrounding country. The preachers on the adjoining circuits, encouraged by what they heard of the success of the Lord's work, set apart a day for fasting and prayer and also arranged to assist each other in special services. Messrs. Hurley and Crozier thus came to the help of the brethren on the Charlemont circuit. On Saturday, December 28th, the quarterly meeting was held at Armagh. Mr Hurley preached; the word was accompanied with unwonted power, and-At the love-feast such was the gracious influence realized that no less than thirty persons were converted. On the following morning, Mr Crozier preached, intending to leave at the close of the service, but such was the manifestation of the Divine presence, that the meeting was continued the whole day, during which about twenty-eight obtained peace with God. On the 30th, the itinerants went to Charlemont, where they witnessed similar scenes of reviving and converting power, forty souls being led to decide for the Lord. Next day the quarterly meeting was held at Newry and continued until after midnight. Mr Thomas Brown preached a powerful sermon, and the whole congregation presented a most affecting appearance, as shouts of joy and songs of praise, mingled with earnest cries for mercy. At least twenty accepted Christ as their Saviour. Thus the eighteenth century closed in this country amid scenes of hallowed and glorious triumph, "the Lord working with His servants, and confirming the word with signs following."
'History of Methodism in Ireland' Volume II, by Crookshank, p180-1
Methodism can be said to have reached Armagh in 1767 when John Wesley came to the city and was prevented by the Sovereign from preaching at the Market House. He went instead by the invitation of its owner, to the home of Mr William McGeough at Abbey Street and addressed a large gathering. It was to this house and grounds that John Wesley returned on his many subsequent visits to the city, the last occasion being in 1789. The first recorded venue for meetings was in a house in Thomas Street rented by three ladies. It was described as 'a humble dwelling' and 'almost fronting onto Dobbin Street'. It was therefore appropriate that in 1786 the first Methodist Church or Chapel as it was commonly called should have been built on a site on the North side of Abbey Street close to where John Wesley had preached.
From Armagh Methodist Church website.