Florence Court (1794)




The prosperity of the Society at Florence Court having rendered the erection of a chapel not only desirable but necessary, Daniel Bradshaw, Esq. presented a piece of ground at Violet Hill for a site, and gave a handsome subscription towards the funds. He also commenced a Sunday school, in which he and his three daughters taught; and this was the first Sunday school in this part of the country. Some months after it had been opened, one of the children—a little girl—while repeating a lesson in Wesley's "Tokens for Children," manifested great anxiety about her soul; a leader then engaged in prayer; several of the young persons present, were deeply affected, and a work of revival thus commenced which extended to the older members of the families, many of whom were led to give themselves to the Lord. Three years later, when Mr. William Ferguson was appointed to the :Ballyconnell circuit, which included Violet Hill, he found the greater part of those thus brought into the Society, steadily walking in the way of righteousness.

In the meantime, there had been a great increase in both the Society and congregation, and all classes attended the services. Amongst the most serious and attentive of the hearers were three sons of the Earl of Enniskillen. One of these, the Hon. W. M. Cole, subsequently entered the Church, and in a few years was appointed Dean of Waterford. Having engaged in the work in the true spirit of a minister of Christ, he paid a visit to his .diocese, and returned to Florence Court to make final arrange­ments for his removal; but the great Head of the Church ordered ;it otherwise. The Dean retired to rest at his usual early hour on a Saturday night, and next morning it was found that his spirit ad fled to the eternal world.

'History of Methodism in Ireland' Volume II by Crookshank.


Related Wells