This eminent man of God, whose memory is still cherished in Ross and Nairn, was born in Tain, of respectable parentage, in the year 1628. Having studied with distinction at Marischal College, Aberdeen, he became domestic chaplain to the good Earl of Sutherland. While residing at Dunrobin he passed through a great mental conflict, out of which he emerged — not without being indebted to the godly guidance of the pious Countess — a very Boanerges in spiritual force and fire, a very Barnabas in skill to minister consolation to souls distressed. Ordained minister of Kiltearn in October 1654, he laboured with indomitable energy and marked success in the work of the Lord. Like good clans-men, the Monroes followed their chief in professing a deep attachment to the Presbyterian Church, but, with the exception of the baron himself and a few gentlemen of his name — veterans who had learned more than the art of military discipline from the gallant Swede, — there were few examples of vital godliness on the fair slopes of Ferindonald. Soon, however, a change became evident. The blessing of heaven descended on the efforts of the young minister, who was as methodic and unwearied in the externals of pastoral work, as he was resolute of will, fervent in spirit, mighty in the Scriptures, and instant in prayer. ''His people," we are told, "were awakened to hear, and he was encouraged to preach. The dry bones began to revive, and pleasant blossoms and hopeful appearances displayed themselves everywhere throughout the parish." Meetings for prayer and spiritual conference sprung up in every hamlet. The morning and evening sacrifice became almost universal from the baronial hall to the meanest cottage; and the district began to be known by an appellation by which it was long distinguished — "the Holy Land." So testifies the late Mr Findlater of Durness, a native of the parish.
It was at the meeting in July 1661, I take it, that the celebrated Thomas Hogg, minister of Kiltearn, was deposed.
The Covenanters in Moray and Ross by M. MacDonald
Thomas Hog's grave is in the corner, by the door. After being ejected from Kiltearn he held conventicles in Morayshire and other places. He was put in prison, but eventually he was allowed back to Kiltearn where he died shortly afterwards.