James McKendrick, the revivalist, grew up in Haughead, going down the mines at nine years old. In 1881 he gave his life to the Lord and immediately began preaching. Within seven months over 100 had come to the Lord. The revival spread to Allanton and other local villages and to the town of Hamilton; going on until 1887.
For more information see, ‘Glory in the Glen,’ by Tom Lennie published by Christian Focus Publications, p35-7.