In the year 1815 — 16 there was a gracious revival of the work of God in the city and circuit of York. At the conference of 1816, there were three hundred and fifty members in society more than twelve months previously. It was found necessary to erect an additional chapel, and in the autumn of this year, the commodious place of worship in Skeldergate was opened.
Life of John Smith by Richard Treffry p36
This was built in 1759 and was a chapel until 1838.