First Lurgan Presbyterian Church (1859)



The revival broke out at Lurgan on Sunday morning, July 3rd, in the Presbyterian meeting-house, where a young woman was stricken. In the evening, at the Primitive Wesleyan chapel, there were eight similar cases, including one young person who went, to mock and was carried out calling aloud for mercy. The work soon extended to other Protestant Churches, and the Methodist ministers, both Wesleyan and Primitive, threw themselves into it most fervently, preaching in the open air, holding special services in the chapels and other preaching-places, and visiting the penitents in their houses. At one of these meetings, in the Wesleyan chapel the power of God was so manifest that the Rev. John Armstrong exclaimed, "Pentecost returned! Pentecost returned! Glory! glory! Hallelujah!" The Wesleyan chapels at Bluestone, Ballynacor, and Bannfoot were also the scenes of many glorious displays of Divine power and grace. In the middle of October, it was estimated that more than a thousand souls had been converted in the Lurgan Primitive 'Wesleyan chapel alone.

From 'History of Methodism in Ireland', Volume III, by Crookshank, p516


Related Wells