Cwrt (1859)



The Rev. R. Phillips, of Llandovery, writes as follows:

"It is supposed that about three thousand persons have been added to the Calvinistic Methodist Churches in Carmarthenshire during the past year. Some of the greatest drunk­ards in some neighbourhoods give evidence of a change of heart by a change of life. The old people say that there is more of God in this revival than they ever saw in any similar movement. It is quite clear that a work has been done which none but God could accomplish. In some places the cause of religion had nearly died away, but now those places are quickened. The churches, which were small, have received a large accession of members, and new life runs through the whole.

More than one hundred persons have been admitted into church-fellow­ship at Cavort, in the Cothy valley. Before the revival the members were but forty, and now they are one hundred and sixty. Indeed, there are only half-a-dozen persons in this valley who do not make a profession of religion.

From ‘The Welsh Revival’ by Thomas Phillips.


Related Wells