While Mr. Grieves was labouring on this mission, he visited St. Ives, on the northern coast. His first visit was made on the 15th of July, 1829. On his journey, he was detained about three hours, waiting to cross the Hayle River. This time was mostly spent in earnest prayer to the God of missions, that a way might be opened at St Ives, and that many souls might be saved. In the evening he stood on a large boat near the Quay, the most populous and wicked part of the town, and preached to several hundred persons, who listened with attention, and many of them were convinced of sin. The following week he preached there again, to a congregation supposed to contain not fewer than 2,000 persons. His unction of the Holy One attended the word, and numbers received religious impressions which were never afterwards effaced. Large congregations continued to attend his preaching, and that of his colleague, Mr. Horsell, and a great revival of religion took place which extended to the other religious communities in the town, and a striking reformation became apparent among the inhabitants generally. The Missionaries met with much kindness and respect from all classes; a goodly number of those who were brought to God under their labours united with them in church fellowship, and in June1830, the society numbered 136 members. A large chapel was speedily erected, towards which the inhabitants generously contributed, and a flourishing interest was established.
From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p236.http://www.archive.org/details/historyprimitiv01pettgoog