At the December Quarterly Meeting of Hull Circuit, 1819, the travelling preachers were six in number, the chapels two, and the members of society 856.
Soon after this meeting, Mr Clowes took another missionary route and visited in succession the villages of Goddle, Arkendale, and Martoncum-Grafton, and the arm of the Lord was made bare in the conversion of many sinners. At one of the places, the enemies of the cross circulated defamatory reports of the missionary, affirming that he was a scamp, and “had left a wife and six children chargeable to the parish." But these scandalous reports failed to produce any permanent impression; ''the mission opened in all directions, and sinners were awakened and converted to God,"
From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p85