Colliery Dykes - Primitive Methodists (1823)



Shotley Bridge, now the head of a circuit, was in the year 1823, included in Westgate branch, and the work of God prospered there and in the neighbourhood in a very cheering manner. Colliery Dykes, a village about three miles north of Shotley Bridge, and about seven south of Newcastle, was first visited by Mr. Batty and his colleagues. A great work of grace was carried on among the colliers there, and numbers turned to the Lord. A powerful camp-meeting was held on the common near the place, and at a love-feast held in a bam, at the close of the camp-meeting, about thirty souls were made happy in the love of God.

From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p148.

http://www.archive.org/details/historyprimitiv01pettgoog


Related Wells