Marton-cum-Grafton Primitive Methodists (1820)



At the December Quarterly Meeting of Hull Circuit, 1819, the travelling preachers were six in number, the chapels two, and the members of society 856.

Soon after this meeting, Mr. Clowes took another missionary route, and visited in succession the villages of Goddle, Arkendalc, and Martoncum-Grafton, and the arm of the Lord was made bare in the conversion of many sinners. At one of the places, the enemies of the cross circulated defamatory reports of the missionary, affirming that he was a scamp, and “had left a wife and six children chargeable to the parish." But these scandalous reports failed to produce any permanent impression; ''the mission opened in all directions, and sinners were awakened and converted to God,"

From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p85

http://www.archive.org/details/historyprimitiv01pettgoog

After the business terminated, Mr. Clowes "took another tour, visiting the missions which he had previously opened at Riverbridge. North and South Cave, Newbald, Ferry-bridge, Knaresborough, Arkendale, Harrogate. and Brotherton." At Marton, the society had prospered so largely that he found it expedient to divide it into three classes, which soon after comprised eighty members, and a new chapel was speedily built for their accommodation. In the revival at this place the late Mr. Thomas Dawson was brought to God, who afterwards became one of the most influential lay members in the Connexion, and for many years took a prominent part in its most important assemblies for business.

From, ‘The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin, by John Petty, 1860, p85

http://www.archive.org/details/historyprimitiv01pettgoog

Related Wells