What is called "the great revival," however, took place in 1867-8, and which continued in the circuit for more than a year, upwards of four hundred souls being added to the church.
Bedlington, Netherton, Bebside and Shankhouse are notable societies in this circuit. The first class at Shankhouse was formed in 1848, and Henry English was appointed to lead it. In 1865-6 there was a great influx of miners from Devon and Cornwall into the Cramlington district. Many of these were religious men, and not long afterwards a powerful revival took place. In less than four years the Wesleyans, Primitives, and Free Methodists had comfortable chapels in the village.
‘Northern Primitive Methodism’ by W M Patterson, published 1909, page 353.