The first services were held in one of the cottages at Whitworth Pit, Spennymoor, and in 1855 George Street Chapel was built, in which a great revival took place in 1862, amongst the converts being most of the large family of William Reed. His son Robert is now in Chicago, and William and John became travelling preachers. The chapel becoming too small, the present sanctuary in Rosa Street was erected in 1867, which has since been extensively improved; and this powerful church, at the head of a powerful station, had its birth in a modest pit cottage.
‘Northern Primitive Methodism’ by W M Patterson, published 1909, page 302.
The revival took place in their chapel in George Street, which then became a cabinet makers workshop. This chapel was built as a result of the revival.