Somewhere in the twenties services were held at Felling, in a thatched cottage belonging to Mrs Shepherd, and afterwards in a large room connected with the Poorhouse. The first chapel was built in High Street, in 1833. In 1864, John Hallam, then travelling in the station, conducted a mission, in which he was assisted by Hugh Gilmore and William Gelley. They were all young men, and the kindness of Mr Hallam to the other two has often been acknowledged. It was an epoch-making revival, for a new church was built immediately thereafter. There was another wave of blessing in 1877.
‘Northern Primitive Methodism’ by W M Patterson, published 1909, page