Upon his arrival William returned to his home in Bangor to visit his elderly mother and to recuperate from an appendix operation. His old friend and Bible class teacher, Mr S. G. Montgomery, persuaded him to hold a mission in his hometown. This he did in October 1920, in Hamilton Road Presbyterian Church, and hundreds of men and women were converted to Christ. This mission heralded the beginning of a new revival and spiritual awakening throughout Ulster. The Bangor Christian Workers Society's Annual Report stated, "It will ever stand out as an epoch in the history of Bangor, as a time of the most outstanding revival and awakening in the last century."
From 'All for Jesus' by Stanley Barnes, published by Ambassador Productions, p62.