Andrew Melville was born at Baldovie, Forfarshire, and educated at the local grammar school at Montrose before entering St Mary's College, St Andrews, in 1559. He left the university with the reputation of being ‘the best poet, philosopher, and Grecian of any young master in the land.’ He went to Paris in 1564, studying Oriental languages and Greek, and taught for some time both at Poitiers and at Geneva at the same time studying civil law. At Geneva he was appointed to the Humanity Chair in 1568. His knowledge of subjects was extremely wide; he was an extremely accomplished scholar.
This part of the College would have been there in Andrew Melville's days. The other side of the building can be seen below.