Elim Chapel - Penydarren (1905)



From Dowlais to Penydarren is not a far cry, and as Mr Evan Roberts only left the Dowlais “glow” on Tuesday evening to enter upon his work at Penydarren to enter upon his work at Penydarren to-day, the characteristics of the people were the same, and yet it is strange how these services differ one from another. No sooner was Mr Evan Roberts at Elim Chapel than he seemed to gauge the spiritual temperature of the gathering, and he forthwith proceeded to “test” the meeting, thus apparently beginning where the meetings usually leave off. It was unique in many other respects, not the least being the contrast between the marvellous “touch” between evangelist and congregation, on the one hand, and, on the other, the difficulty in persuading two people - a man and a woman - to accept their Saviour. It was understood that the man did not believe and wanted more light, while the woman declared that, though she believed, she was “unable to break through.” The afternoon meeting was from the outset a very fine one. One man, who had until recently been a great drunkard, expressed gratitude during the service for having been permitted to be present at a meeting commencing an hour before its proper time. He was in the old chapel which he used to attend as a child. It was like the old hearthstone to him. Silent prayer, indicated by bowed heads and deep silence, had not prevailed for more than about 30 seconds before a mere boy burst out into a passionate Welsh prayer. The congregation sang “Pen Calfaria,” and while this was proceeding Mr Evan Roberts arrived, accompanied by Miss Annie Davies (Maesteg) and Miss Mary Davies (Gorseinon). The service throughout was a remarkable one, and yet totally different from the Dowlais meeting of the previous night. When Mr Roberts had put on his overcoat, shortly after four p.m., it was thought the service was drawing to a close, but there seemed to be no disposition on the part of anyone to go, and, further prayers being offered, the evangelist rose once more and dwelt pathetically upon the picture of the Saviour’s love and sacrifice, and it was after five when the service terminated. In the evening the principal service was held in Horeb Chapel.

From, 'The Western Mail', 25th January 1905.

Additional Information

The chapel has gone.


Related Wells